Thursday 29 August 2013

Awk


When I went on the (second?) date with this (that?) guy, the date at the pub that I did not enjoy, one of the things that made the experience all that more awkward for me was that he ordered food and I didn't.

I mean, besides the fact that the place was so noisy it was really very difficult to hear each other, and so sometimes I was just nodding at something I was only guessing he'd said, and besides the fact that I was still nervous and not really wanting to be there, when the waitress asked if we wanted anything to eat (it was past when I usually have dinner) I said no, and he said yes.  And he ordered a steak.

Which is fine.

Except that I had to watch him eat.  Or, not watch him eat.  And sort of make one-sided conversation, but not wanting to interrupt his meal, or make him chew with his mouth open, so it was just... uncomfortable.

I didn't want to appear to be ignoring him and studying the people around us, or watching whatever sport was on tv, but it's weird to have someone eating when you're not.

I guess I could have ordered something, but I wasn't hungry, and I didn't want to deal with the bill.

Which ended up being awkward anyway, because I had my one drink, and he had his two and a meal and when the waitress asked "together or separate?" I didn't know what to say and so I sort of looked at him and he looked at me and I was assuming he'd say "together is fine" but then the pause got longer and the waitress just said "ok, separate, then."

And the bill paying, when you're new to each other can be a little awkward if someone doesn't step up and offer to pay, and I find it both reassuring and flattering when a guy does.  And usually they do.

Or if I'm very sure I don't want to see the person again, I'll jump on the bill.  Or, if it's just a coffee walk meeting, I'll usually just not get anything, avoid the whole thing.

So, yeah.  So less than comfortable.

Sigh.

I don't know.  Not sure a second date is the time for a meal together anyway, but, maybe that's just me being weird.